Reunited in Singapore with the family visa

2020-03-12 18:05:53
Reunited in Singapore with the family visa
If you’re working in a Singapore firm and wish to bring your spouse and kids along, then the family visa is for you. The family visa mainly consists of two visas. Read on to find out more about these visas

These are the family members you can bring in and the type of pass they need:


Family member

Pass type

Legally married spouse

Dependant’s Pass

Unmarried children under 21, including those legally adopted

Dependant’s Pass

Common-law spouse

Long Term Visit Pass

Unmarried handicapped children above 21

Long Term Visit Pass

Unmarried step-children under 21

Long Term Visit Pass

(Only for EP holders earning at least $12,000)

Long Term Visit Pass


Dependant’s Pass

A Singapore Dependant’s Pass (DP) is a relocation visa issued to selected family members of Employment Pass, S Pass holders, EntrePass holders or Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) holders.


Dependant’s Passes are valid as long as the holder of the main Singapore work visa is actively working in Singapore. DP pass holders can live, enter and leave Singapore freely without having to apply for separate Singapore entry visas.


Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years old (both birth and legally adopted children) of Employment Pass, S Pass, EntrePass or PEP holders who are earning at least S$6,000 a month can apply for a Dependant’s Pass.


Common-law spouses of Singapore work visa holders are not eligible for a Dependant’s Pass. However, subject to certain conditions, they are usually eligible for a Long-Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP).


Documents required


· A completed Dependant’s Pass application form

· A copy of the personal particulars page of your /your child’s passport

· A copy of the official marriage, birth or adoption certificates as proof of relationship

· Educational details, if any

· School enrollment details in an educational institute in Singapore, if any

· Salary details for the most recent employment held, if any


Long-Term Visitor’s Pass (LTVP)

A foreigner whose spouse is either a Singapore citizen or a permanent resident can either apply for citizenship or permanent residency; or if he or she doesn’t satisfy the criteria for these as yet, can go for the Long Term Visit Pass.


Notably, LTVP is also issued to certain qualifying family members of Employment Pass (EP) and S Pass holders who earn at least S$6,000 per month. For this, the employer needs to submit a separate application for each family member, which although, can be submitted together with the EP or S Pass application.


The family members eligible for LTVP include common-law spouse, unmarried handicapped children above 21 years, step-children under 21, and parents (only if the EP or S Pass holder earns more than S$12,000 per month).


Long Term Visitor’s Plus Pass (LTVP+)

This scheme was introduced in 2012 to give foreigners married to Singapore residents and citizens greater certainty of stay in the country, as well as make them eligible for healthcare (i.e. nearly similar to the benefits enjoyed by Singaporean PRs) and employment benefits (i.e. able to work with no need for a work permit, just LOC).


Notably, there is no separate application for LTVP+ as those eligible are automatically considered when they apply for LTVP. In general, couples with at least one Singaporean child are considered favourably for the LTVP+. For couples with no children, the duration of marriage (for example, being married for at least three years helps) plus other factors are taken into account.


The LTVP+ is granted for a duration of three years initially and can be renewed for up to five years for each subsequent renewal.


Interestingly, LTVP+ holders issued with LOCs are not counted under the foreign workers’ quota of their employers, who subsequently are also not required to pay any foreign workers’ levy for employing the LTVP+ holders.


Documents required


Family member

Additional documents

Common-law spouse

Any one of the following:

· Copy of the common-law marriage certificate.

· An affidavit by the work pass holder and their spouse declaring that they are in a common-law relationship recognised under the laws of their home country. The affidavit must also be notarized in their home country.

· A letter from the home country's embassy of the work pass holder or spouse acknowledging that they are in a common-law relationship recognised under the laws of their country.

Unmarried handicapped children above 21 years of age

A letter or report from a medical practitioner on the child’s condition.


Unmarried stepchildren under 21 years of age

· A copy of the court order on the child’s custody.

· A letter from the other biological parent stating there is no objection to bringing the child to Singapore.

· Verification of Vaccination Requirements (for entry to Singapore) document issued by HPB is needed for foreign-born children who meet these conditions: a) Aged 12 years old and below or b) Applying for a new LTVP – this includes those whose LTVPs have expired or been cancelled for more than 30 days.


Existing DP, LTVP and Student's Pass holders do not need this document.


A copy of the work pass holder’s birth certificate that states the names of the parents.


View More
Relative articles
Collect Share