Bunking in American

2020-03-26 17:32:12
Bunking in American
Securing an awesome place to live in a new city or even a new country can be a daunting task. You want to make sure you’ve picked the perfect location, but also you want to make sure that the place is within your budget. The choice is yours. Here are the types of accommodation offered in the US

There are several options when it comes to deciding where you will live when you are living and studying in the United States. These options include:

1. On-Campus dormitories

2. Off-Campus apartments

3. Homestays


On-campus dormitories

Once you are enrolled in a US school, the Admissions Department or International Student Office will most likely send you a "pre-departure orientation" packet. Options for where to live are generally included in this information.


Some American schools offer accommodations for international students on-campus, or near the school's classrooms, libraries and other facilities. "Dormitories" are buildings with many rooms for sleeping and living, often with two or three people (of the same gender) per room. Dormitory residents typically share large bathrooms which include showers and toilets.


Many first-year students prefer to live in on-campus dormitories because they are convenient for both academic and social activities. Another advantage is that it is not likely that you will need a car to commute to campus.


On-campus accommodations also offer proximity to the cafeteria and other eating establishments. US colleges offer very flexible meal-plan programs, where you can choose to pay in advance for breakfast, lunch and dinner.


On most campuses, you may also be required to deposit a certain amount at the beginning of the semester for food that you may buy from designated places. Each item’s cost is deducted from the balance in your account throughout the semester. Again, your pre-departure orientation packet will probably provide details on your eating options.


Moving into a dormitory setting is relatively simple: utilities such as electricity and telephone connections will most likely be ready to use. Each US college has its policy on paying for long-distance telephone charges. It is best to familiarize yourself with those policies soon after you arrive on campus.


You can consider living on-campus at least for the first year. If this is your first trip to the US, on-campus housing will help with the transition to life in the US. Once you are more familiar with the neighbourhood, you can then consider moving off-campus.

Off-campus Options


Some schools in the US do not provide on-campus accommodations for international students. However, an off-campus housing office will assist you in finding an appropriate place to live. Often, the office coordinates activities to help students find a compatible roommate to share expenses; they also provide information about the local neighbourhoods, including popular restaurants, shopping areas, parks and recreation, and public transportation.


The cost of renting an apartment varies a lot depending on the area of the country and the local supply and demand. The average range for a studio apartment can start from $625 to $2200 across the regions. A rule of thumb, you should make sure your rent costs never exceed 30 percent of your net monthly income.


Leasing an Apartment

Ask new friends and other students if they have any suggestions for a good apartment. Check classified advertisements in the local newspaper (Sundays usually have more apartment listings than other days of the week) or college ‘s bulletin board with apartment listings. It will include listings from landlords as well as students looking for someone to sublet their lease. If all else fails, contact a real estate agent for assistance - though beware of unspecified fees for the service.


Before committing to a lease, or an agreement to rent an apartment, spend some time in the area to decide if it feels safe and convenient to places like school buildings and grocery stores. Read the lease carefully before signing.


You will learn, for example, that the landlord is not responsible for your possessions if they are stolen or destroyed, so you may consider purchasing "renter’s insurance."


If you do not understand any part of the lease agreement, ask the landlord, a friend, or someone from the international student office to explain it to you.



Once you do find off-campus housing, be aware that your rent may well not include utilities. You will need to request that the companies turn on the electricity and telephone service when you arrive. The landlord can provide you with the appropriate contact information


You have a choice of long-distance carriers for your telephone service. Be sure to ask the customer service representatives about special discounts for international calling plans or inquire about internet mobile data plans.


Soon after you register for telephone service, you should receive a free telephone directory. Within the directory, you will find the white pages (listing residents alphabetically by name), the blue pages (government listings), and the yellow pages (business listings and advertisements).


Many US households have telephone answering machines, which record messages from callers when no one answers the phone. You may purchase an answering machine for about $25.


Another option is to request that the telephone company provide an electronic answering service, for which they charge a small monthly fee. Please visit the international student phone card centre for more information on inexpensive phone cards that will allow you to keep in touch with loved ones back in your home country.


In most cases, the least expensive way to keep in touch with far-away friends and family is via email. Again, each US school has its policies and procedures for accessing the Internet. If you choose to access your own email off-campus, you can expect to pay about $20 per month to an Internet Service Provider.


Furnished apartment

As an international student, you will need to ensure you look for furnished accommodation or order the furniture and appliances you need after you arrive (unless of course, you want to ship these from home). Check that amenities such as a washing machine and fridge are included in your housing. Some housing options even supply bedding for students travelling from abroad.



Homestays are a viable option for students under the age of 18, especially those who are nervous about leaving home and living in a new country.


In a homestay arrangement, you will be placed with an American family within 20 to 45 minutes from your campus. You will have your room, and meals will be provided.


Living with an American family will allow you to fully immerse yourself in American culture as you adapt to the life of the family with whom you are living. You can benefit from the comforts of home and of family life, even though you are far from home and in an entirely new country.


When choosing between these options, the most important aspect to keep in mind is safety. This will give you and your family back home peace of mind.

View More
Relative articles
Collect Share